Sigh. We still haven’t been able to resolve the funky blog format issues, but I still want to give you this newest recipe, because I’m really excited about these kalettes.
Yes, kalettes. Kalettes are a new type of vegetable, fusing brussels sprouts and kale. Thus, kalettes.
They’re super cute and have a really nice sweet and nutty flavor.
So what did I do? I sauteed them with olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes and tossed them together with sausage and zucchini noodles. You really can’t go wrong with that combination, especially when parmesan cheese is thrown in the mix.
This sauce is wonderfully basic – make sure you’re using a quality olive oil, freshly minced garlic (lots of it!) and freshly grated parmesan cheese. The cheese melts into the zucchini noodles and mixes with the olive oil to create a flavorful sauce that won’t lead to a soupy bowl of pasta.
Due to this light sauce, this dish is easy to reheat. Last night, Lu and I reheated this dish and it was perhaps even better than when it was freshly made. I was craving this dish from the Inspiralized cookbook, but I didn’t feel right making it just yet, since it’s barely spring! I can’t wait for the summer and big zucchinis again. Am I right?
Actually, the Inspiralized cookbook is 40% off right now on Amazon, down to $11.99. You can grab your copy here. Also, if you’ve already received the cookbook, I’d love you to take a moment to leave an Amazon review – it helps me so much and with that review, you may be inspiring someone to add the book to their cart and get Inspiralized!
If you’re not a sausage fan or are trying to reduce your meat intake, opt for chicken or if you’re vegetarian, go for cannellini beans or lentils.
The kalettes really steal the show here- they wilt nicely and crisp up in the olive oil and have a wonderful, hardy texture thanks to the kale-like leaves. You’ll definitely be seeing these again on the blog. They actually have a website, so if you’re further curious, click here.
Have you tried or heard of kalettes? What are your thoughts?
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Spicy Parmesan-Garlic Zucchini Pasta with Sausage and Kalettes
- 2 spicy Italian sausage links decased and sliced into 1/2” thick chunks
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/3 cup diced sweet onion or red onion
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or less/omit if you don’t like spicy
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2.5 cups halved kalettes
- 2 medium zucchinis Blade C
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese + more for garnish if desired
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the sausage, cooking for 10-12 minutes or until it browns and cooks completely. Remove the sausage with a slotted spoon and set aside on a plate.
- Immediately add in the garlic, onions, red pepper flakes, olive oil and kalettes. Let cook for 2-3 minutes or until kalettes begin to cook. Then, add in the zucchini pasta and toss for 2-3 more minutes or until noodles are al dente.
- Add in the parmesan cheese and sausage and toss until combined and cheese is melted.
- Divide into bowls and serve, garnished with additional parmesan, if desired.