If you make my salmon fish taco bowls and have extra avocado crema, make these Spicy Watermelon Wedges and serve then with the leftover crema (it’s the same recipe!)
But seriously, if you’re having taco or margarita night and are bored of serving the same old chips and guacamole spread, serve these watermelon wedges instead!
These watermelon wedges are topped with spicy chili powder and cayenne pepper for a spicy bite that pairs perfectly with the sweet and hydrating watermelon – and of course, the creamy-but-dairy-free crema!
I’m always looking for more entertaining appetizers, and these are it! If you love a good cheese and wine party, why not make it a spicy watermelon wedge and margarita party?
Now you can – with this recipe! The pickled onions give the watermelon a nice tart kick, but if you’re running low on time, ditch the onions and make these as wedges – or even as fries!
The avocado crema is a staple recipe in my life – I drizzle and dip it with everything. Definitely bookmark this one! Same thing with these quick-pickled spiralized onions – just spiralize your onions and place them in a bowl with honey, salt, and vinegar and keep tossing them while you make the rest of the recipe. Before you know it, your onions are soft and pickled!
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Spicy Watermelon Wedges with Spiralized Pickled Onions
- For the watermelon:
- 1 seedless baby watermelon cut into 1" thick wedges
- 1.25 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- kosher salt
- For the onions:
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1.5 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 small red onion Blade A, noodles trimmed
- For the crema:
- 1 ripe avocado peeled, pitted
- 1.5 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, honey, and salt. Add the onions, toss and set aside. Toss the onions every 5 minutes for 15 minutes at least.
- Set the watermelon slices on a serving tray. In a small bowl, stir together the chili powder, cayenne, and kosher salt. Sprinkle over the watermelon.
- In a food processor, add the avocado, lime, and cilantro and process until smooth. With a spoon, place a dollop on each watermelon wedge and with the back of the spoon, spread it on the wedges. Top with pickled onions and serve.