March 20. March 20. March 20. Say it with me, “March 20!!”
March 20th is the first official day of spring and I think I speak for everyone when I say, “About time!!” It’s been a heck of a winter with snow storms, ice storms, wintry mixes and crazy fluctuations in temperature.
Well, what better way to countdown the beginning of spring than with a beautiful green bowl of spring pasta?
To me, watercress screams springtime. Although it’s defined as a perennial plant, it’s at its peak flavor in the spring. It’s so delicate and has that rejuvenating herby taste. We can all use a little rejuvenation, right?
Peas are dainty and add more fresh flavor to accompany the zucchini noodles. Speaking of freshness, what better way to add nutritional benefits and that refreshed feeling than lemon juice? By squeezing a lemon over this pasta, it creates this garlic-lemon combination that brings out all the flavors in the other ingredients.
The leeks bring us back to the horrid truth: it’s still winter! But, they have a light and mild taste that complements the rest of the ingredients well – and adds more green color.
Don’t forget the parmesan cheese! This is optional, but a tiny bit of cheese (a dusting, if you will) adds saltiness, some protein and more flavor to the pasta.
Would it be overkill if we ate this with a green juice? I say no. You can never have too many greens! Like shoes.
What is your favorite part of the springtime?
Spring Zucchini Pasta with Peas, Leeks & Watercress
- 1/2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 small pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup diced white onion
- 1 leek stalk green tops removed and white bottoms sliced thinly (about 1/3-1/2 cup)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1.5 zucchinis Blade C
- 1/2 cup packed watercress
- 2 tbsp cooked green peas
- 1/2 whole lemon
- 1 tsp grated parmesan cheese to garnish
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add in the olive oil. Then, add in the garlic and red pepper flakes. Let cook for 30 seconds and then add in the white onion and leeks. Season with salt and pepper and cook for about 3 minutes or until leeks start to brown.
- Then, add in the zucchini noodles and watercress. Toss frequently for about 3 minutes or until zucchini noodles have softened and warmed. When done, add in the peas and squeeze lemon over the skillet. Toss the pasta once more to combine and then plate into a bowl. Top with parmesan cheese and enjoy!