An easy casserole dish that uses summer produce with beef to make a fragrant, robut stew that can be enjoyed even on the warmest of summer days.
I know, I know, we try to turn our ovens off during the summer months and hit the grill. Well, for me, I still keep using the oven all summer long, because I love to be outside in our backyard while the food’s cooking inside!
This baked stew is as easy as it gets. Everything is stirred together in a baking dish and baked in the oven. Truly, that’s it. The potatoes and zucchini are added at separate times than the beef and carrots just for cooking times, but other than that, it’s a set it and forget it kind of meal.
Summer potatoes, carrots, zucchini, and basil fortify this dish and add a nutritious and colorful boost.
You can swap out the vegetables during other times of year for a more wintry or autumn mix. But for now, add this dish to your must-make list! Crusty bread for serving, always.
Summer Baked Beef Stew
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 cup beef broth, low-sodium
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder (or all-purpose flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 bagged carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 pound baby new potatoes
- 2 zucchinis, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise into¼-inch thick half moons
- freshly sliced basil for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400oF
- In a large bowl, crush the tomatoes with your hands and add in the, garlic, broth, Worcestershire sauce, arrowroot, salt, and season with pepper.
- Place the beef and carrots in a 9 x 13 baking dish and evenly pour over the broth mixture. Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour.Uncover, fold in the potatoes, and cook another 60 to 80 minutes (uncovered) or until meat and potatoes are tender, stirring halfway through. Uncover, taste, and if needs more salt, season with more salt and then add the zucchini and give a big stir to combine. Let sit for 10 minutes for the zucchini to soften.Garnish with basil and serve.