Farro is my brown rice. If I had to choose a grain to go with every meal, it would most certainly be farro. The chewiness of farro is the best!
An easy way to come up with something to bring to a gathering is to toss spiralized veggies with grains and in this case, I’m using farro.
Spiralizing isn’t just a pasta alternative (I know I sound like a broken record), but it’s true! There’s so much more you can do with these noodles, such as here, in a whole grain salad.
These zucchini noodles are lightly cooked to still maintain their crunchy element, but warm up to complement the warm farro. If you’re eating it right away, it’s a warm, comforting but light dish. However, if you’re planning ahead, this dish works really well chilled. Actually, I kept it in my fridge and made little bowls of it for three days!
Dare I say it’s an ideal work lunch? You can top it with grilled chicken to make it more protein-packed, or toss cannellini beans in there. The softness of those beans would work wonders here.
I’ll be doing a last-minute Memorial Day BBQ spiralized recipe roundup next weekend, but in the meantime, I wanted to equip you with some more ideas for those gatherings. We’re actually staying in Jersey City for the holiday weekend. We’ve been going to Florida with my family for the past few years, so we’re looking forward to a bit of a #staycation.
And for those of you who have been waiting for the right moment to order your Inspiralizer (it’s ALWAYS the right time!), then stay tuned because we’re going to have a 20% offsale all next weekend (Saturday – Monday) in celebration of Memorial Day and those who fought for our freedom.
Watch our video to learn how to spiralize a zucchini using the Inspiralizer and subscribe to our YouTube channel to watch more videos:
CHECK OUT ALI’S LATEST POST ON HER LIFESTYLE BLOG, INSPIRALIZED ALI:
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 8 points
*These points were calculated using the official Weight Watchers SmartPoints calculator. We are in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers, we are providing this information based on popular demand.
Summer Farro Salad with Spiralized Zucchini, Onions, and Mozzarella
- For the dressing:
- 1.5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the salad:
- 1 medium zucchini Blade C, noodles trimmed
- 1 cup cooked farro
- 1/2 cup halved mozzarella balls
- 1/2 small red onion Blade A, noodles trimmed
- 1 basil chiffonade about 8 basil leaves chopped
- 1/2 cup jarred roasted red peppers drained and sliced into 1/4” thick slivers
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the skillet is heated, add in the zucchini noodles and cook until warmed through and slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Set aside and if needed, drain into a colander first (if there is excess moisture released).
- Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the farro, mozzarella, zucchini noodles, onion noodles, basil, and roasted peppers. Pour over the dressing and toss thoroughly to combine. Taste and adjust with more salt and pepper, if needed. Serve.