Sweet Potato Fried Rice
One of my most popular recipes on this site, my Sweet Potato Fried Rice is exactly why people fall in love with spiralizing – you can recreate your favorite meals into lighter, healthier versions by way of spiralized veggies!
One of my first spiralized rice recipes, this Sweet Potato Fried Rice has it all – it has the texture and crunch of fried rice, thanks to sweet potato’s starch and all of the flavor of this Chinese dish. The sweet potatoes soak up the flavors of the soy sauce and oils so each bite is flavorful. Plus, the sweet potato has its own flavors, making this overall a very tasty meal.
If you want to skip the spiralizing step here, you can, but the texture won’t be as spot on as “rice.” Simply chop the sweet potatoes into small cubes and pulse in a food processor until rice-like.
I’ve made this recipe vegetarian, because I want you to be able to make it your own – you can add whatever protein you typically make (or order!) fried rice with. Chicken, shrimp, tofu, and pork are all great options.
If you haven’t tried this tried and true Inspiralized recipe, let these new photos re-inspire you!
Vegetarian Sweet Potato "Fried Rice"
- 1 large 340g+ sweet potato, peeled, Blade D
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth low-sodium + more, if needed
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- Place your sweet potato noodles in a food processor and pulse until rice-like. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once oil is shimmering, add in the garlic and onions and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add in the sweet potato rice, stir well and let cook for 2-3 minutes to warm through. Add in the vegetable broth and cook for another 2-3 minutes, adding more broth if it sticks to the bottom of the pan. Add in the peas, stir well to combine, and then build a cavity in the center of the mixture and pour in the eggs. Scramble the eggs in the middle and then stir altogether to combine. Season with pepper and drizzle with soy sauce. Stir well to combine and remove from heat. Serve.