You asked for it: simple meals.
I make this one a lot. I make it and keep it in the fridge to have on hand for snacks during the day or if I’m running around the city in meetings, I’ll pack a little in some Tupperware and have it in case I don’t have time for lunch during the day – at least it’s something.
I can get really hangry and it’s not pretty. So call this my “Hanger Prevention” meal.
My secret? I use pre-made vegan pesto. Seriously, this is how it goes down:
I heat up some oil in a skillet and toss in sliced asparagus, seasoning with salt and pepper. While that asparagus cooks, I spiralize a zucchini and toss it with pesto. Once the asparagus is done cooking, I serve up a bowl and top with the asparagus.
There’s something magically delicious about the asparagus-pesto combo.
I’ve had this for dinner too, I top it with cannellini beans or chicken for an instant protein-packed, nutrient dense meal! Plus, asparagus are so in right now, it being spring and all.
But seriously, these are the kind of meals I LIVE for in the summer, which is right around the corner! EEK.
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 10 points
*These points were calculated using the official Weight Watchers SmartPoints calculator. We are in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers, we are providing this information based on popular demand.
Pesto Zucchini Noodles with Asparagus
- For the pasta:
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 thick asparagus spears ends trimmed, sliced on an angle
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 medium zucchinis Blade D, noodles trimmed
- 1/4 cup jarred vegan pesto or homemade see below
- For the pesto:
- 3 cup basil leaves packed
- 1.5 talespoons pine nuts
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 large clove of garlic minced
- If making homemade pesto, place all of the ingredients for the pesto into a food processor and pulse until creamy. Taste and adjust, if necessary. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is shimmering, add in the asparagus and season generously with salt and pepper. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until asparagus is bright green, fork tender, and is browned.
- Meanwhile, spiralize the zucchinis and place in a large mixing bowl. Pour over the pesto and toss well. Set aside.
- When asparagus is done, toss it in the bowl with the pesto zucchini noodles and toss well to combine.
- Divide the pasta into bowls and serve.