If you follow me on Snapchat (username inspiralized), you might have seen that I ran 11 miles yesterday. Well, 10.8, because at about mile 8, I started getting bad top of the foot pain. By mile 10.8, I could barely walk, and that has never happened to me before – a bit scary, honestly!
It had started about a month ago, but I ignored it, because it seemed to go away every time I was done running, once I took my sneakers off.
Well, I found out: it was my sneakers!
I’m training for a half marathon and although I got fitted for sneakers a while back, things change and I needed to find a new pair. I went to a running store in Hoboken, got on the treadmill and they analyzed my running strides/gait and voila – I left with new sneakers.
I’m taking today and tomorrow off from running to let my foot rest, so I’ll be excited to ramp it back up on Tuesday. The race is on October 8th in Brooklyn, so if you see a runner with INSPIRALIZED on the back of their t-shirt, it’s me!
This vegetable fried rice tastes like the real deal – the golden beets have a mild taste, so they work perfectly to absorb the flavors in the sesame oil, garlic, soy sauce, and veggies. The scrambled eggs and peas gives this dish a protein punch, and the corn gives it a little crunch.
This is another one to add to the takeout fakeout category, and we had it on Friday night and it really felt like we were eating takeout leftovers! You can make it before the takeout arrives and use it in place of fried rice. Every healthy swap counts!
I’m actually running late, I’m headed to the NY Giants game with my Dad and Lu. Go Giants! And happy Sunday!
Check out the latest post on my lifestyle blog, inspiralized ali:
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 9 points
*These points were calculated using the official Weight Watchers SmartPoints calculator. We are in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers, we are providing this information based on popular demand.
Vegetable Fried Spiralized Golden Beet Rice
- 3 small to medium golden beets peeled, Blade D
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil coconut oil works well too
- 2 small garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 scallions sliced, white and green parts separated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1/4 cup canned no-salt added corn kernels drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce
- Place your golden beet noodles in a food processor and pulse until rice-like. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is shimmering, add in the garlic, bell pepper, and white parts of the sliced scallions. Let cook for 2 minutes or until softened and then add in the golden beet rice. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Create a cavity in the center of the mixture and add the eggs and scramble. Once eggs are mostly scrambled, combine with the rest of the mixture and add in the peas, corn, and soy sauce.
- Let cook for 2 minutes or until peas heat up and soften. Divide into bowls and top with green parts of the scallions.