When I haven’t planned dinner in advance (aka meal planning) and I’m crunched for time and don’t want to run downstairs to the grocery store, I’ll make a bowl.
Bowls are an easy way to pack in many flavors, nutrients, colors, and textures. I love bowl meals because you can just pack in whatever flavors you want or whatever you have left in your fridge and magically, once it’s in bowl form, it tastes delicious!
Seriously, I feel like bowls have magical powers.
Bowl meals also make you feel like a boss in the kitchen. There’s no fancy cooking skills required, just a skillet and a bowl. Long story short, I’m a big fan of bowl meals and today, I’m sharing one with you that I originally put on Instagram and everyone asked for the recipe!
Since I’m trying to make more everyday recipes, I figured this was a good place to start: something I literally whipped up in 20 minutes for dinner.
Things I always have in my pantry are lentils and sweet potatoes. I’m never at a loss for dinner ideas, because at the very least, I know I have a vitamin-packed veggie and a heart-healthy protein (lentils.) Top with avocado (which I always have in my fridge) and a green (I had leftover brussels sprouts from this recipe), and voila: a meal in minutes!
I served Lu’s with two fried eggs, because he doesn’t like eating things without a sauce. Personally, I don’t think this bowl needs a sauce, especially because the kale and brussels sprouts are packed with a salty soy sauce punch.
However you enjoy this bowl, let me know – would you like to see more recipes like this?
Watch our video to learn how to spiralize a sweet potato using the Inspiralizer and subscribe to our YouTube channel to watch more videos:
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 7 points
*These points were calculated using the official Weight Watchers SmartPoints calculator. We are in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers, we are providing this information based on popular demand.
Brussels Sprouts, Kale, and Lentil Sweet Potato Noodle Bowl
- 1/3 cup dry brown lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup brussels sprouts
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 large avocado peeled, pitted, and sliced
- Cook the lentils: place lentils in a saucepot with 1 cup of water and a bay leaf. Bring to a boil and once boiling, lower to a simmer and let cook for 10-15 minutes or until lentils are tender and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, shred the brussels sprouts: slice the tough bottoms off and place into a food processor and pulse until shredded. Then, peel and spiralize the sweet potato with Blade D and trim the noodles.
- Heat a medium non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Once pan is hot, coat with cooking spray and add in the sweet potato noodles and season with chili powder, salt, and pepper. Cook until wilted, about 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once pan is hot, coat with cooking spray and add the brussels sprouts and season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until they turn bright green and begin to brown. Add in the kale and cook another 3 minutes until kale is wilted. Add the soy sauce, and toss to combine.
- Divide the kale mixture into two bowls, add the lentils, sweet potato noodles and top with avocado.