Ahhhhh, soup season.
I haven’t posted many soups this winter, so I’m excited to share a classic soup with a little Inspiralized twist: white bean and chard soup (with spiralized celeriac, or, celery root.)
Another one-pan wonder, this soup is so flavorful, but requires minimal ingredients. The white beans offer a vegan protein source, so I made this dish with vegetable broth and made the Parmesan optional, but if you want a more robust, savory soup, I really recommend chicken broth.
Swiss chard is a great leafy green to pack in in the wintertime, especially if you’re overdoing it with the kale. (I’m totally guilty of that!) It’s a great source of Vitamin K, A, and C – perfect for immunity boosting!
I love the taste of celery, so I used diced celery AND spiralized celery root, but if you’re sensitive to the taste, omit the diced celery in the beginning and just use spiralized celeriac (that’s the real star of this dish, afterall.)
Hope everyone had a great weekend – and if you watched the Super Bowl, what a nail-biter, right? Those last 30 minutes were crazy! I’m happy for all the Patriots players and fans, what an incredible game and what an accomplishment, especially for Tom Brady!
Lu’s gone this week, so I plan on eating super clean (it’s so much easier when you can just cook exactly what you want and not think about someone else’s cravings/preferences/etc), starting Santa Clarita Diet, and crushing my weekly work goals.
Happy Monday, hope everyone makes it a productive, healthy week!
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 6 points
*These points were calculated using the official Weight Watchers SmartPoints calculator. We are in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers, we are providing this information based on popular demand.
White Bean and Chard Soup with Spiralized Celery Root
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup diced white onion
- 2 carrots peeled, diced
- 2 celery ribs diced
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- ¼ red pepper flakes or more
- salt and pepper
- 6 cups vegetable broth low sodium (or chicken broth)
- thyme leaves from 4 sprigs of thyme
- 1 small celeriac peeled, Blade D, noodles trimmed
- 1 14.5 oz can white beans drained, rinsed
- 6 cups chopped winter chard
- optional if not vegan: 4-6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Once oil is shimmering, add the onions, carrots, and celery. Let cook for 5 minutes or until soft, then add in the garlic, cook 30 seconds until fragrant. Season with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and add in the vegetable (or chicken) broth.
- Add in the thyme and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a medium-low simmer and add the celeriac noodles, beans, and chard. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until celeriac noodles are cooked to your preference.
- Ladle soup into four to six bowls and top each with about a tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese, if using.