On Super Bowl Sunday, I posted this photo on Instagram of a spiralized dish that my mother brought to eat during the game.
I must have receive a hundred messages on Instagram and Snapchat about that dish, so I called my mother first thing Monday morning and had her walk me through the recipe.
Now, it’s on the blog! And because I had about three servings, let me tell you: MAKE THIS.
I had actually never baked sausage in the oven before, but now, I don’t know how else I’ll ever cook it (aside from crumbling for a lasagna like this one.) The sausage cooks evenly (just shake the pan a couple of times while it cooks) and voila – crisp on the outside, perfectly cooked on the inside.
I used sweet Italian fennel sausage in this recipe, but you could omit the red pepper flakes and use spicy sausage. OR, do a combo – sweet and spicy sausage. And if you’re not a meat-eater, just toss in some chickpeas or quinoa, because the flavor from the potatoes, peppers, onions, basil, and oregano are all you need!
This dish saves well, too – you can even freeze it, it will all defrost.
On a side note, I’m asked at least once a day where my “big pan from your cooking snaps” is from. You can find out more about the pan here. I swear by it – NOTHING sticks to it and it holds SO much (like this deliciousness I’m sharing today.)
So thanks to you Mom, for sharing your recipe with everyone – I know you read my blog everyday, so I’m sure you’ll love this post the most!
Stay tuned tomorrow for another “What I Ate Today” and a #livinginspiralized feature. I’m answering another one of your questions!
Now you can watch a cooking video of this recipe:
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 6 points
*These points were calculated using the official Weight Watchers SmartPoints calculator. We are in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers, we are providing this information based on popular demand.
Mom’s Spiralized Peppers, Onions, and Potatoes with Sausage
- 4 sweet Italian sausage links or sausage of choice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers Blade A, noodles trimmed
- 1 large white or red onion Blade A, noodles trimmed
- 2 large russet potatoes Blade D, noodles trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or more, if you like spice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place the sausage in a baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes or until sausage is browned and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is shimmering, add in the peppers, onions, and potatoes. Season with red pepper flakes, oregano, basil, and garlic. Season generously with salt and pepper and toss well to combine thoroughly.
- Cook the mixture until potatoes are cooked through, about 15 minutes. If you want to speed up the process, cover the skillet with a lid to let the mixture steam.
- When the veggies and sausage are done, slice the sausage and add to the veggie mixture and toss to combine OR simply serve the sliced sausage alongside the veggie mixture.