There’s no sugar coating the day after a long holiday weekend. If you’re a coffee drinker, it’s time to hook up an IV of your favorite brew.
Honestly, when I woke up this morning, part of me thought I was still at my parent’s place in Florida, which meant I was getting up for another day of the beach.
Luckily, I have a lot to look forward to these next few weeks, which will fuel me through this post-Memorial Day weekend Tuesday.
Literally, there are 25 days left until our wedding. Twenty-five. Needless to say, I have a lot of wedding-related planning to do, which is great, but not as exciting as the fact that I get to marry Lu in a little over three weeks.
So, I have that to motivate me through this week, as well as a lot of cooking to prepare for said wedding and my honeymooooon! I’m going to be cooking lots, so make sure you follow me on Snapchat (username inspiralized) and Instagram, as I’ll be posting sneak peeks as I cook close to three recipes a day from now until I tie the knot!
Anyways, I hope you all had a wonderful, happy and relaxing weekend, wherever you were and whatever you did. I spent mine in Florida (Singer Island) at my parent’s condo with my sister, her boyfriend, Lu and of course, my parents. A much-needed beach vacation!
This picture pretty much sums it all up:
Now that it’s the unofficial start of summer, we have that to look forward to – trips down the shore, margaritas outside and sunny road trips.
And of course, summer means zucchinis are in season, which means plenty of zucchini noodle recipes, like this one – a classic Italian dish, made with spiralized zucchini!
Pasta alla norma is a simple pasta dish made with sauteed eggplant. The eggplant is typically drenched in olive oil, cooked until brown and then tossed with a simple tomato sauce and pasta.
Here, the toasted pine nuts add more savory flavor, with a little crunch and added nutrients. This dish is easy to make, quick to whip up, and it’s under 400 calories – so definitely post-Memorial Day weekend detox-friendly!
I’m very much looking forward to whipping up some healthy meals for you all this week! Welcome back, everyone!
Are you ready for the summer?
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 13 points
Zucchini Pasta Alla Norma
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups diced eggplant
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano flakes
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 medium zucchinis Blade D, noodles trimmed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add in the olive oil. Once oil heats, add in the eggplant and season with salt and pepper. Cook until eggplant is browned and soft. When done, transfer to a plate (do not line with paper towels.)
- In the same skillet, add in garlic and red pepper flakes and let cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Then, add in the tomatoes and then season with oregano, salt and pepper. Lower heat to a simmer and let cook for 10 minutes. Right when the sauce is done, fold in the eggplant.
- Meanwhile, place a small skillet over medium-high heat. Once the skillet heats, add in the pine nuts and let cook for 3 minutes or until golden brown, shaking the pan to ensure the nuts don’t burn. When done, set aside.
- Five minutes into cooking the sauce, add another large skillet over medium-high heat and coat with cooking spray. Once the pan is heated, add in the zucchini noodles and let cook, tossing occasionally, for 3-5 minutes or until cooked to your preference.
- Plate the noodles into bowls and top with equal amounts of sauce. Garnish with parsley and pine nuts.