Yesterday was the first post of 2016 and today is the first Monday of 2016!
Normally, Mondays kinda, well, suck.
But the first Monday of the year is like your mother pushing you off to pre-school - new beginnings are possible!
If you haven’t made your resolutions yet, today’s the day – after all, there’s no better day than a Monday to start. And if you don’t make resolutions, just keep on keepin’ on!
For me, I’ve never felt so energized. Maybe that’s because I woke up at 6am with Lu to workout and get this post done before 10am. And two coffees later, here it is: vegan sweet potato rice fajitas!
Not only is the rice spiralized, so are the bell peppers and onions. Your Inspiralizer is going to get a LOT of love with this dish.
The jalapeno and garlic are first cooked with tomato paste, making for a tomato base that creates a slight creaminess once the sweet potato rice cooks with vegetable broth. It’s also a one-pot dish, so cleanup is minimal – AND, it saves extremely well in the refrigerator.
If you’re saying, “Where’s the protein?!” well, there is protein in a sweet potato and avocado, BUT if you’re using this as a main dish and need the fuel, top it with whatever you’d like – black beans, chicken – even steak would work well here! However you prefer your fajitas, go for it.
And for all of you starting the New Year off as a vegan (I know Meaghan, our Brand & Community Manager is,) then add this to your arsenal. And for more vegan recipes, click here.
If you need me today, I’ll be on Snapchat, testing about 12 recipes for cookbook #2 – if you haven’t seen my testing on Instagram, well, my manuscript is due today so I’m kickin’ it into high gear to finish in time. Send help – and wine….
If you don’t know how to make spiralized rice, check out this video and then try it yourself. Make sure you subscribe to our YouTube channel to receive updates when new videos are uploaded (every Tuesday!)
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 9 points
*These points were calculated using the official Weight Watchers SmartPoints calculator. We are in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers, we are providing this information based on popular demand.
- For the fajitas:
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons seeded and minced jalapeno
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled, Blade A, noodles trimmed
- 1 green bell pepper, Blade A, noodles trimmed
- 1 red bell pepper, Blade A, noodles trimmed
- 1 orange bell pepper, Blade A, noodles trimmed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, Blade D
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and insides sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- For the fajita seasoning:
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- salt, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- Place the sweet potato noodles into a food processor and pulse until rice-like.
- Place a large, wide skillet over medium heat and add in the olive oil. Once oil heats, add in the jalapeno and garlic and let cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Stir in the tomato paste and stir frequently until vegetables are coated in the paste, about 30 seconds. Add in the onions, bell peppers and let cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add in the sweet potato rice and add in the fajita seasoning ingredients and season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine thoroughly and then add the vegetable broth. Cover and let cook for 5 minutes and then uncover and let cook for another 5 minutes or until sweet potato rice softens and moisture is mostly evaporated.
- Top with avocado slices and garnish with cilantro. Serve.