After taking off four days from the gym (which I haven’t done in over a year), it has felt so great to get my blood flowing the past couple of days with workouts.
This morning, I woke up at 6:15am to make it to the gym by 6:30am for my workout, and I feel so ready to conquer this Monday and this week!
There’s nothing like a good sweat to start your day or week off right. Hello, endorphins!
I’ve been getting asked a lot of questions about my workout routine lately (now that I’m pregnant!) and my doctor said just this: listen to your body.
So, I’ve been doing my same workouts as I’ve always done (spin and HIIT), just dialing it down a bit because I’ve been more short of breath than usual. I don’t lift as heavy of weights (I’ve just increased the reps), and I may not push myself AS hard on the resistance on the spin bike.
Apparently working out while pregnant makes your labor and delivery that much easier, so if that’s true, I’m going to workout as long as I feel strong!
Today’s recipe is a great way to ease our way into spring! We’re using spiralized butternut squash rice (a winter squash) paired with earthy leeks (a spring vegetable), stirred with parmesan cheese for a savory, seasonal, delicious rice dish- without the rice!
If you haven’t tried making spiralized rice yet, check that video out here.
Also, I’ve been getting a lot of questions about spiralizers lately, which leads me to believe that not everyone knows that Inspiralized has our own branded spiralizer, the Inspiralizer. To learn more, click here!
Enjoy your week, everyone – it’s supposed to be BEAUTIFUL here in the NYC area, I hope it’s nice where you’re reading from!
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 4 points
*These points were calculated using the official Weight Watchers SmartPoints calculator. We are in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers, we are providing this information based on popular demand.
Spiralized Butternut Squash Leek Risotto
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled, Blade C
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup sliced leeks
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup chicken broth + more if needed
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Pulse the butternut squash noodles in a food processor until rice-like, then set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once oil is shimmering, add the leeks and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes or until leeks soften. Add the butternut squash rice, season with thyme, salt and pepper and stir. Cook for 2 minutes to heat through, then add the broth. Bring mixture to a boil and then lower heat to low and let simmer for 10-15 minutes or until broth is mostly evaporated (you want a little moisture) and butternut squash is softened.
- Remove the skillet from heat and fold in the cheese. Stir until cheese has fully melted through.
- Spoon risotto into bowls and serve hot, garnished with extra pepper.