When you think about tomato sauce and cheese, what’s missing?
Well, today, you get it all – tomato sauce, basil, cheese, and rutabaga spaghetti.
This is one of those servable dishes that your family and friends will beg you to make over and over again.
The mozzarella cheese is gooey enough to satisfy our cheese craving, the tomato sauce is bubbly and fragrant with the basil, and the rutabaga spaghetti mimics the exact texture of real spaghetti, except it has a beautiful nutty flavor that brings out the sweetness in the tomatoes AND of course, it’s gluten-free and a vegetable!
When you divide this dish up, you can do it two ways: split it up into 6 big portions, or treat each mozzarella slice as a “serving” and in that case, you’ll get 9 servings out of this dish (for instance, if you want to serve it to kids who don’t eat as much as us adults or if you’re serving it as a side dish, alongside salad or something like that.)
Whatever way you serve it up, this spaghetti bake has all those classic Italian flavors – garlic, basil, tomatoes, mozzarella and won’t send your blood sugar spiking, thanks to the use of the spiralized rutabaga!
Cyber Monday Sale
Don’t forget! Today’s the last day of the holiday weekend sale. It’s your last day to get 20% off the Inspiralizer! You don’t need any discount code, the discount is already reflected on checkout!
Grab your Inspiralizer at 20% off for this limited time and gift a friend or treat yourself! Happy shopping – and hope this helps you check off at least one person on your gift list this season!
We’re also offering the same discount on Amazon — 20% off (and we’re Prime!) Shop now:
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 10 points
*These points were calculated using the official Weight Watchers SmartPoints calculator. We are in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers, we are providing this information based on popular demand.
Baked Rutabaga Spaghetti and Mozzarella
- 2 cans 28oz whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 medium rutabagas peeled, Blade D, noodles trimmed
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups packed basil leaves
- 9 ¼ ” slices of fresh mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a food processor, pulse tomatoes until coarsely chopped.
- Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Once heated, add the rutabaga noodles, season with salt and pepper and cook until wilted and cooked through, about 15 minutes. You may need to do this in batches. Once cooked, set aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Place the skillet back over medium-high heat and add the oil. Once oil is shimmering, add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and let cook at a solid simmer until sauce thickens, 12-15 minutes.
- In the large mixing bowl with the rutabaga, add the prepared tomato sauce, basil, and half the mozzarella and toss to combine. Transfer the mixture to a 3-quart baking dish and top with the remaining cheese. Bake in the oven until cheese is golden and edges are bubbling, about 25 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Total Fat: 14g