Not much else makes your kitchen smell better than melting, broiled mozzarella cheese.
The highlights of this meal? The oozing, velvety melted cheese with the soft warmed tomato and al dente zucchini noodles with aromatic fresh basil.
Seriously, this recipe is sinfully delicious, but under 170 calories per serving!
This recipe couldn’t be simpler – you basically broil tomatoes while you cook zucchini noodles in a skillet. This meal comes together in less than 30 minutes, but it tastes like something you’d wait an hour for at a restaurant!
As you cut through each bite, you get soft tomato, savory and decadent mozzarella and crunchy, fresh zucchini.
I actually adapted this recipe from this one from Real Simple. I literally Googled “simple pasta recipes” and it came up.
You can’t go wrong with this recipe and if you want to add some protein, try adding some chicken with the zucchini noodles or even topping the tomatoes with tuna before you sprinkle with the cheese and making this a tuna melt situation.
Mmm. Tuna melts.
Note: I am currently on my honeymoon and won’t be able to answer any questions or comments. Thank you for your patience and understanding while I enjoy this time with my…. husband!
Now you can watch a cooking video of this recipe:
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 6 points
Basil Zucchini Spaghetti with Cheesy Broiled Tomatoes
- 2 large beefsteak tomatoes each cut into 4 thick slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus more for lining the baking sheet
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella grated
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese plus more for garnish (optional)
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 medium zucchinis Blade C, noodles trimmed
- 1/3 cup sliced fresh basil leaves + more to garnish
- Heat the broiler.
- Meanwhile, arrange the tomato slices in a single layer on a lightly oiled rimmed baking sheet. Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper. Dividing evenly, sprinkle the slices with the mozzarella and Parmesan. Broil until the cheese is bubbly and golden, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place a large skillet over medium heat and add in the oil. Once oil heats, add in the garlic and red pepper, cooking for 30 seconds. Then, add in the zucchini noodles, basil and season with more pepper. Cook for 3 minutes or until al dente.
- Divide the zucchini noodle mixture onto plates and top each with the broiled tomatoes and more cheese, if desired. Garnish with basil.