At this point, I’ll be a married woman! AND, it’s the first day of summer (meaning my wedding day was the longest day of the year!)
In light of our wedding, I decided to make Italian Wedding Soup. Although warm soup isn’t exactly a summertime meal, I added zucchini noodles in there for a twist.
Actually, the rest of the recipes I’ll be posting will have zucchini noodles in them, in celebration of it officially being summer (FINALLY!)
Typically, in Italian Wedding Soup, there’s some sort of green – whether it’s fresh herbs or escarole, there are some tasty greens to soak up the delicious broth, which is made with chicken broth, cheese and whisked eggs.
Of course, the meatballs are what make this a hearty dish, but the zucchini noodles add a bit of an al dente crunch and that pasta-like consistency that tricks your brain into thinking you’re eating pasta and meatballs.
The meatballs are gluten-free and simmer perfectly in the broth, softening and soaking up all the flavors from the cheese and wispy egg.
Aside from this non-summery first-day-of-summer recipe, I’m very excited for the summertime! I’m going to be a married woman, a newlywed, and be very excited to start my life as Mrs. Cerda!
Actually, I have a bucket list, which includes such things as:
- Grab an adult popsicle cocktail from the Loopy Doopy Bar at The Conrad Hotel in NYC
- Take more road trips
- Go peach picking and have a picnic with plenty of rose and Pellegrino
Have you made a summer bucket list?
Note: I am currently enjoying my wedding weekend and won’t be able to answer any questions or comments. Thank you for your patience and understanding while I enjoy this time with my…. husband!
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 5 points
Italian Wedding Soup with Zucchini Noodles
- For the meatballs:
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the soup:
- 7 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Make the meatballs: combine all of the meatball ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir together. Then, shape the meat mixture into 1-inch-diameter meatballs, about 16. Place on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Start the soup: Bring the broth and garlic to a boil in a large pot or deep pan. Add the meatballs, lower the heat and simmer until cooked through, about 7-10 minutes.
- While the meatballs are cooking, slice your zucchinis lengthwise halfway and then spiralize them, using Blade D.
- Once the meatballs are about done, add in the zucchini noodles and let cook 2-3 minutes or until al dente. Then, whisk the eggs and cheese in a medium bowl to blend and season with salt and pepper. Stir the soup in a circular motion. Gradually drizzle the egg mixture into the moving broth, stirring gently with a fork to form thin stands of egg, about 1 minute. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and serve. Finish soup with red pepper flakes and parsley.