Today, I’m participating in a Blueberry Contest! You can check out all of the details on the Blueberry Council’s website. Basically, we’re directed to use blueberries somehow in a recipe and pair it with balsamic, rosemary, coconut or banana. I chose coconut, because I don’t cook with that ingredient enough!
I love blogging contests, because it encourages me to be creative with selective ingredients. Walking through a farmer’s market or grocery store, I’m inspired by all of the fresh produce and always bring a notepad so that I can jot down ideas. For example, I once saw persimmons next to the cheese aisle one morning and scribbled down the beginnings of this Persimmon Cucumber Salad.
Coconut and blueberries, here I come.
After seeing coconut, I immediately thought baking! These ingredients pair fabulously with the freshness and lightness of zucchini noodles. I love how the blueberries become creamy and add a sweetness to the mild Greek yogurt flavor. The coconut in the crusted chicken brings out the sugars in the blueberries and makes for a surprise in every bite.
I chose to only puree half of the blueberries, because the chunkiness of the remaining berries adds a hearty texture and complements the crustiness of the chicken.
This meal would be best enjoyed on a picnic while sipping on sparkling lemonade. Since it’s the last day of November and snow storms and below freezing temperatures are looming, I figured I’d transport us to a picnic table, at least for a couple minutes. Enjoy!
Blueberry-Yogurt Zucchini Pasta Salad with Coconut Crusted Baked Chicken
- For the chicken:
- 1 slice of whole wheat toast
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- olive oil to drizzle
- For the rest:
- cooking spray
- 1 8 oz container of 0% nonfat plain Greek yogurt I prefer Chobani
- 1.5 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 2 medium zucchinis Blade C
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Put the bread slices in a food processor and pulse until breadcrumbs. Place a large skillet over medium heat and place in the breadcrumbs. Cook for about 5 minutes or until bread is toasted.
- Take the toasted breadcrumbs and pour them into a bowl and add in the shredded coconut, Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper. Mix to combine and then pour out as a thin layer into a baking tray.
- Take a chicken breast and drizzle with olive oil. Massage the oil into the chicken breast and then lay down in the breadcrumb mixture. Flip over and press the other side into the mixture. Repeat to completely coat the chicken in the mixture. Repeat with the other chicken breast.
- Place the seasoned chicken breasts onto a baking tray lightly coated with cooking spray. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is baking, prepare your yogurt sauce. In a food processor, place in the greek yogurt, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, half of the blueberries and season with salt and pepper. Pulse until creamy.
- Place the yogurt-blueberry mixture into a bowl and add in the remaining blueberries. Add your zucchini noodles to the bowl and mix thoroughly to combine. Plate into two bowls.
- Once the chicken is done baking, top each bowl of noodles with one chicken breast. Enjoy!