As I’m writing this, it’s snowing (hey, #Niko!) and right before lunchtime, and I’m counting down the minutes until I can warm up these leftovers and have them for lunch.
I won’t be having them over spiralized veggies, because I’m done cooking for the week and my fridge is cleared, BUT I will be enjoying them over some cauliflower rice I prepped earlier this week.
Why am I sharing a non-spiralized version of this dish? I have a point..
… and my point is this: the star of this dish isn’t really the butternut squash noodles (GASP!), it’s the sauce.
Yes, this is one of those ridiculously simple sauces to make that’s so healthy and meal-prep friendly, you won’t believe it until you make it. And it’s versatile – you can serve it over spiralized veggies (any veggie will work, really – except maybe cucumber, that’d be weird), over cauliflower rice, over spiralized rice, over spaghetti squash, or just with some roasted potatoes.
Now, let’s talk cashew cream: don’t be afraid! And if you don’t want to bother, just sub coconut milk or even Greek yogurt.
Cashew cream is SO easy to make and it makes this sauce creamy. The only trick? Remembering to soak your cashews! Just set an alarm on your phone or soak them the night before, and then that next day, when you go to make it, the cashews will be ready – all you do is drain and add vegetable broth and voila – cashew cream.
With Valentine’s Day coming up this week, this may be another potential dish to make for you and your loved one, or yourself, if you’re flying solo. Treat yourself to that extra glass of wine, because you deserve it!
Happy Sunday, hope everyone’s planning a healthy week ahead!
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 9 points
*These points were calculated using the official Weight Watchers SmartPoints calculator. We are in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers, we are providing this information based on popular demand.
Butternut Squash Noodles with Creamy Tomato and Chicken Sauce
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled, Blade C, noodles trimmed
- salt and pepper
- 1 24 oz jar Tomato Basil sauce I use Victoria Fine Foods Tomato Basil or Tomato Herb
- 1/2 cup raw cashews soaked for at least 2 hours
- ¼ cup chicken broth low-sodium
- 2.5 - 3 cups finely shredded cooked chicken
- chopped parsley to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay out the butternut squash noodles and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until noodles are at your desired consistency.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Place a medium pot or wide skillet over medium-high heat and add the marinara sauce. Bring to a simmer.
- While sauce heats up, place the cashews and chicken broth in a high-speed blender and pulse until creamy. Add ¼ cup heaping cup of the cashew cream to the marinara sauce and stir well to combine. Reserve anything extra for future recipes.
- Add the chicken to the sauce and stir well to combine, cooking for 5 minutes or until chicken heats up. Taste the sauce and if it needs more salt or pepper, add as needed.
- Serve the butternut squash noodles topped with the creamy tomato chicken sauce. Garnish with parsley.