Chicken Sausage, Brussels Sprouts and Spiralized Sweet Potato Skillet
You may recognize this recipe, because almost exactly two years ago, it was posted on the blog. The original photos were taken with an iPhone (long story), so I wanted to update the photos and it gave me a great excuse to make this easy and delicious recipe for my family again.
Each year, this recipe continues to be one of my most popular and it’s obvious why – it’s easy and so flavorful! The chicken sausage and Brussels sprouts are cooked together, infusing so much flavor into the sprouts and setting the tone for this dish. Then, the sweet potato noodles are cooked in those chicken juices for more depth and then everything is tossed together, topped with cheese, and melted to gooey perfection.
If you don’t eat dairy, you could definitely enjoy this without – it’s tasty enough on it’s own. Everyone always gobbles this up and there are rarely leftovers, but it does save well, so think about this one for meal prep! You could certainly double this and transfer to a baking dish to make a larger batch. Just add it in the oven on broil and let it sit for just a few minutes to melt the cheese.
You could swap in pork sausage here too or, if you’re vegetarian, skip the chicken sausage and add white beans for protein and texture. However you make this, it’ll soon become your weeknight favorite, too!
And one more photo, just because:
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Chicken Sausage, Brussels Sprouts and Sweet Potato Skillet Bake
- 1.5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 chicken sausage links
- 1 large sweet potato or 2 medium, peeled, Blade D, noodles trimmed
- salt and pepper
- 2.5 cups shredded brussels sprouts
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1.25 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat a tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is shimmering, add the chicken sausage and crumble as you cook, cooking until sausage is cooked through, 5-7 minutes. Add the brussels sprouts and cook for 5 minutes or until brussels sprouts are bright green and tender.
- Transfer the mixture to a plate or bowl and immediately add the remaining olive oil and sweet potato noodles and season with salt and pepper. Toss and cook for 7 minutes or until cooked through and slightly al dente. Add back in the sausage mixture and toss and spread out everything evenly in the skillet. Sprinkle over with cheese and cover the skillet and let the cheese melt, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.