Every year, a personal resolution of mine is to cook from more cookbooks. And I fail, always.
I guess I’m always focusing on creating my own original recipes and writing recipes for MY cookbooks, cooking from other people’s cookbooks doesn’t happen.
Alas, it’s 2018, and I’m starting off strong with a recipe from one of my fellow food blogging friends’ cookbooks: Michelle Tam of Nom Nom Paleo and her latest cookbook, Ready or Not!
Now, I’m not Paleo (I don’t label my diet at all, I eat EVERYTHING), but let me tell you, Michelle makes Paleo look GOOD. All of her recipes in this book look so delicious (and proved by this recipe, they are!), and the best part is that they are meant to be meal planning friendly. First off, she shows you step-by-step how to make each recipe (I know, incredible, right?!) and then she tells you how to repurpose, reuse, and reheat them! And in this recipe, I spy the Inspiralizer!!
If you’re a busy person (or a person with a lot of family member mouths to feed), this book is for you! The book is graphically awesome, like the whole Nom Nom Paleo brand is!
Of course, I had to recreate one of her spiralized recipes and this Chilled Asian Zoodle Salad with Chicken and Avocado did not disappoint. While, of course, spiralized veggies, chicken, and avocado are delicious, the real star here is the Ginger Sesame Sauce – I COULD DRINK IT! It was so good, I saved the leftovers in the refrigerator and ended up tossing it with some salad greens and it made a great dressing!
I love supporting other women who are running their own businesses, cranking out cookbooks, and hustling to help their readers eat healthier everyday! One of the reasons I love what I do is because of the food blogging community – I’ve made some great friends through this industry (some IRL, some through the computer screen) and I love sharing their work with you too, in case you don’t already follow them!
So, cheers to cooking from more cookbooks this year! Tell me – do you like when I recreate recipes from other people’s cookbooks? I’d love the feedback!
Chilled Asian Zoodle Salad with Chicken + Avocado
- For the Ginger Sesame Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds or 1 tablespoon tahini
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons peeled and minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Kosher salt
- For the noodles:
- 4 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 4 medium zucchini Blade D, noodles trimmed
- 2 medium carrots Blade D, noodles trimmed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 1 avocado peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- black sesame seeds to garnish
- Combine all of the ingredients for the Ginger Sesame Sauce in a high-speed blender or food processor, and puree until smooth. Set aside ½ cup of it and save the rest for future meals (it’s good, you’ll want to!)
- In a large bowl, toss together the noodles, chicken, and Ginger Sesame Sauce. Season with salt to taste.
- Add the fresh herbs and scallions. Top with sliced avocado and sesame seeds, and serve.