If you have my second cookbook, Inspiralize Everything, you might have already made my Spiralized Shakshuka (with spiralized bell peppers and onions!)
If you’re a shakshuka fan or just a fan of chorizo and eggs, you’re also going to love today’s recipe for a Mexican-style shakshuka.
I’ve changed up the flavor with this one, using chorizo, cilantro, and of course, topping with avocado for a Mexican flair.
The spiralized sweet potatoes bulk up this traditionally Israeli dish for more nutrients, complex carbs, and starch. The sweetness in the potatoes complement the sweetness in the tomatoes and the spicy, savory chorizo completes the flavors!
This dish is one of those that you make for brunch guests that leave them saying, “What an amazing meal!” The chorizo, eggs, sweet potato, tomatoes, avocado, it’s a satisfying, flavorful breakfast.
Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day, and if you’re one of those people who likes to cook your boo breakfast before work, this is it!
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Mexican Shakshuka with Spiralized Sweet Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato Blade D, noodles trimmed
- salt and pepper
- 2.25 cups tomato puree
- 8 oz chorizo sliced into ¼” thick rounds
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 large eggs
- 1 avocado sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a 10” (or medium-sized) oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is shimmering, add the sweet potato noodles and season with salt and pepper. Cook until wilted, about 7 minutes and then set aside on a plate. Immediately add the tomato sauce, chorizo, garlic, chili powder and cumin. Cook, stirring often, until flavors meld, about 10 minutes. Taste and season with more flavorings, if needed. Add back in the sweet potato noodles, toss to coat in the tomato mixture. Form 4 wells in the tomato mixture and crack 1 egg in each. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until whites are set, about 10-13 minutes. Top with the avocado and cilantro. Serve immediately.