This Saturday (as in, yesterday) I woke up at 4:00am to make a 6:00am flight to spend a quick weekend visiting my parents in Florida.
While the weather hasn’t been ideal (although as I’m writing this, the sun is starting to peek out through the clouds,) it’s certainly been relaxing.
We’ve been playing board games, drinking wine, lounging, reading, taking long walks and just spending time together.
Indeed, I’ve been so relaxed, that I forgot to publish today’s post – so, I apologize for the delay!
Whenever I come down to Florida, I always say to myself: why don’t I live in a warm-weather climate?
It’s fun to dream about sitting outdoors, listening to the waves crashing and doing what I love: sharing my recipes with all of you.
Instead, I woke up this morning to an e-mail alert from JetBlue saying that my flight has been cancelled.
Apparently it’s going to snow again, so I’m down here in Florida now until Tuesday.
For now, I get to live the dream! Today, I’m sharing one of my favorite ways to eat spiralized rice – with a light miso dressing. The raw crunchiness of the beets combined with the umami flavors of the miso dressing is absolutely addictive!
And of course, everything is better with an egg on top. #putaneggonit
What I love about beet rice is that it’s a big nutritional bank for your buck – beets are high in antioxidants, folate, potassium and of course, they’re gorgeous in color. They’re also so hardy and provide ample dietary fiber.
This dish is perfect for a light lunch or, if you’re having it for dinner, add in some edamame beans or quinoa for more protein – you can even leave the egg out and add in some shrimp or chicken.
Once I get back to New Jersey, I can’t wait to make this for lunch. Until then, I’m going to enjoy this Floridian weather.
Have you tried Inspiralized rice yet?
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Crunchy Miso Beet Rice with Spinach and Egg
- For the miso dressing:
- 1 tablespoon miso
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon water
- For the rice:
- 1 large beet peeled, Blade C
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 scallions diced
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds to garnish
- 2 eggs
- Combine all of the ingredients for the miso dressing into a small bowl and whisk until fully combined. Set aside.
- Place the beet noodles into a food processor and pulse until rice-like. Set aside in a medium mixing bowl.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add in the spinach. Cook for 5 minutes or until spinach wilts. Add the spinach and miso dressing to the bowl with the beet rice, and toss to combine. Divide the rice into two bowls and set aside.
- In the same skillet, crack in the eggs. Let eggs cook until whites set and then top each bowl of rice with an egg and garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.