We’re spiralizing broccoli today!
This recipe is so easy and so flavorful and fun – it’s guaranteed a spot in your weekly dinner rotation.
And if you haven’t tried spiralizing broccoli yet, consider this your motivation!
This chicken milanese is crusted with gluten-free almond meal from Bob’s Red Mill, seasoned with a bit of garlic powder. The almond meal browns beautifully in the skillet and gives the dish a slightly nutty taste with loaded nutrients (think: antioxidants.)
The process for the broccoli noodles is easy – just use your favorite jarred tomato sauce (I love Victoria Fine Foods’ Organic Tomato Herb) to simmer the broccoli florets and noodles together. In a few minutes, you have a pasta-like side for this perfectly seasoned chicken milanese.
If you’re looking for another starch, try some crispy potato noodles or for more greens, serve this with some arugula tossed with olive oil and lemon.
Chicken milanese is one of my favorite Italian dishes, but thanks to the delicious almond meal from Bob’s Red Mill, I’m able to recreate the dish with no processed ingredients and more nutrients. That’s a win.
This spiralized broccoli side goes with lighter proteins too, like a cod or other flaky white fish. However you enjoy it, I know you’re going to enjoy it!
Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill, but as always, all opinions are my own.
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 12 points
*These points were calculated using the official Weight Watchers SmartPoints calculator. We are in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers, we are providing this information based on popular demand.
Gluten Free Chicken Milanese with Spiralized Broccoli
- For the chicken:
- 1 whole egg
- 1/3 cup Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free almond meal
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 thinly sliced boneless chicken breasts chicken cutlets
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large lemon wedge
- For the broccoli:
- 1/2 cup tomato-basil sauce
- 2 large broccoli heads with thick stems florets chopped from 1 of the broccoli heads and both stems spiralized with Blade D, noodles trimmed (reserve other broccoli head's florets for future use)
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated parmesan cheese to garnish (optional)
- Place two shallow dishes side by side. In one, crack in the egg and whisk. In the other, add in the almond meal, garlic powder and mix thoroughly. Spread the almond meal in an even layer in the baking dish.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Dip one chicken filet in the egg and coat. Then, dip in the almond meal mixture, flipping over to coat all sides. Set aside on a plate.
- Turn two burners on to medium-high heat. On one burner, place a large skillet (for the chicken.) On the other burner, place a medium skillet (for the broccoli noodles.)
- Heat the olive oil in the large skillet for the chicken. Once oil is shimmering, add in the chicken and cook for 5 minutes, flip over and cook another 5-7 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and breading is golden brown. Once done, squeeze the lemon over the chicken.
- Meanwhile, in the medium skillet for the broccoli, add in the tomato sauce and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, add in the broccoli florets, noodles, and season with salt and pepper. Let cook while the chicken cooks or until broccoli florets are fork tender and noodles are al dente.
- Divide the chicken to two plates and serve each with the broccoli noodles. Garnish with parmesan cheese, if desired.