We’ve all been there: we’re invited to a summer potluck or barbecue and we’re scrambling at the last minute for something to bring. Instead of making the same pasta salad you always make, try this spiralized zucchini noodle salad, packed with all the summertime favorites: zucchini, grilled corn, tomatoes, and avocado!
If you haven’t tried cold zucchini noodle salads in the summertime, they’re your best friend – quick to prepare, refreshing, healthy, and most importantly, a great use of your spiralizer!
I’m so last minute, and I’m usually late to get togethers, because I’m frantically putting together something to bring over other than a bottle of wine. And yes, I cook for a living!
In recent years, I’ve learned that a) everybody wants to eat healthy at BBQs, but they don’t know how to do it flavorfully, b) time is of the essence in the summer and no one wants to spend too much time in the kitchen, and finally, c) zucchini noodles pretty much go with everything.
Seriously though on point C – toss raw zucchini noodles (yes, raw!) with basil pesto, a tomato basil dressing, romesco, or something zesty like this cilantro-lime dressing and they will taste delightful. It’s true! They really go with everything!
Don’t be turned off by raw zucchini – the longer the noodles sit in the dressing, the less crunchy they become! And, they travel well. It’s the warm sauces that are a little trickier, but here are some tips to avoid a watery zucchini noodle mess.
Now, if you can’t grill your own corn, no worries – just boil it! Or, if you’re really making this for a BBQ, bring the corn (BYOC?!) and ask the chef/host/hostess to grill it and you can slice it up and put it freshly into this salad!
Okay now tell me – am I overselling raw spiralized zucchini noodle salads?
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Grilled Corn and Zucchini Noodle Salad with Cilantro-Lime Dressing
- Olive oil to grease
- 2 ears of corn husked
- 2 medium zucchinis
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado pitted, peeled, cubed
- For the dressing:
- 1.5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1.5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1.5 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil the grate OR heat a grill pan over medium-high heat on a stovetop and grease with olive oil.
- If using an outdoor grill: place the corn on the grill, close the cover and grill for 15 to 20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes or until kernels are fork-tender.
- If using a grill pan: place down your corn and let cook 5 minutes per side until all sides are charred and fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing: place all of the ingredients in the bottom of a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Prepare the zucchinis: slice the zucchinis halfway through lengthwise, careful not to pierce the center. Spiralize the zucchinis with Blade C. Add the zucchini noodles and tomatoes to the bowl with the dressing and toss to combine.
- Once the corn is done cooking, shave the kernels off with a knife. Add the kernels and avocado to the bowl with the zucchini noodles and toss to combine. Transfer to a serving bowl (if desired) and serve.