Today’s dish is one of those seemingly simple recipes that you’re like “Okay Ali, what’s so special about this? It’s zucchini pasta, broccoli and proscuitto.” You’d think there’s no wow factor, but man, oh man, if this not the cherry on top of my “spiralizing is the best” sundae, then I don’t know what is.
A few weeks ago, I was dining at my favorite neighborhood restaurant, Satis Bistro. They call themselves a “salumeria,” but I had yet to try their meats. Poor Lu… whenever they’d ask us if we’d like meats to go along with our cheese selection, he’d shrug as I said “Oh, we don’t want meat, just extra cheese.” Luckily, those days are long gone, and now I’m a full-blown omnivore.
So back to that day. When the waiter asked us if we wanted meats and cheeses this time, I obliged. “Why yes, of course, kind sir!” OK, I don’t say “kind sir,” but we did indeed order meats that time.
When they brought out the proscuitto so finely rolled and placed next to the other meats, I immediately thought in my head “I need to make a spiralized recipe with proscuitto.” It’s just such a classy meat, it really is. Delicate, flavorful, and pairs well with so many other foods.
Now here we are with this big bowl of zucchini pasta, topped with lemon garlic broccoli, prosciutto and toasted whole wheat breadcrumbs. Lemon garlic broccoli and I have a love-hate relationship, because it’s so calorie-heavy, thanks to the near-quarter-cup of olive oil used to make it the way I love it. Today, I’ve managed to keep the olive oil at a minimum and still make that delicious lemon-garlic taste that creates a wonderful freshness for the pasta.
On another note, I love toasted whole wheat breadcrumbs. They add a healthy crunch with minimal effort.
Go ahead… wow yourself and make this dish. I have a feeling there are going to be many cherries on top of this “sundae.”
Lemon Garlic Broccoli Zucchini Pasta with Prosciutto and Toasted Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 slice of bread
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4-5 large broccoli florets
- salt and pepper
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 1.5 medium zucchinis Blade C
- juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
- 4 pieces of thinly sliced prosciutto rolled
- Place the bread into a food processor and pulse until chopped into breadcrumbs.
- Place a medium skillet over medium heat, coat with cook spray, and add in the breadcrumbs. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes or until the bread is toasted and crispy. Set aside.
- Add a large skillet over medium-low heat and add in half of the olive oil.
- Add in the broccoli, season with salt and pepper and cook for about 3 minutes, tossing frequently.
- Add in 2 tsp of the garlic, the rest of the olive oil, and cook for another 3-5 minutes, tossing frequently. When done, remove broccoli with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Scrape the browned garlic out of the pan (and into the garbage) and then place the same pan over medium heat.
- Add in the zucchini noodles, lemon juice, and red pepper flakes. Cook for about 2 minutes or until zucchini softens.
- When done, add to the bowl with the broccoli and toss to combine.
- Place the pasta mixture into a bowl and top with breadcrumbs and rolled prosciutto. Enjoy!