One of the first foods you’re encouraged to give your baby (6 months+) during baby led weaning are DIPPERS. Little pieces of bread, pita, or similar pre-dipped (or if they’re older, they can do the dipping). For the dip, you can choose anything you’d like to introduce to your little one and, depending on what you’re eating alongside them, you can just serve the dipper with a little bit of that (for example, a curry, chili, etc.)
The dippers can be used for any meal – breakfast it’s nice with some mashed avocado (like an avocado toast!), lunch it’s great with some hummus, and dinner, you may try some marinara sauce, or a homemade salt-less pesto!
The key to making these Potato Toast Dippers is cutting them about 1/4″ thick so they get crisp up nicely in the oven so they’re easier to hold onto and hold the dip! If your child has a gluten allergy already (or you have a history of gluten allergies in your family and are being cautious at first), these are a great alternative – and just a fun way to sneak in more whole foods into your baby’s diet!
AND I encourage you to eat alongside your baby – I made the Potato Toasts with Green Pea-Avocado Mash from my cookbook Inspiralized & Beyond and while I made them, I made one especially for Luca and one medium russet potato yielded eight dippers!
And yes, you can make a sweet potato version of these too! You can use all types of vegetables.
What would you dip these in?
Potato Toast Dippers
- 1 russet potato
- olive oil to brush
- to dip: hummus avocado, marinara sauce, etc
- Preheat hte oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the ends off of the russet potato. Then, slice the sides off so that all sides are flat. Slice the potato lengthwise to get 4 slabs, about 1/4" thick. Slice these slabs in half lengthwise to yield 8 dippers.
- Place the potato dippers on the baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until browned and crispy on the edges.
- Smear the top 1/3 of each dipper with your desired dip: hummus, avocado, marinara sauce, etc.