These gluten-free Mediterranean lamb meatballs are served with creamy hummus, spiralized cucumbers, tomato salad, and a sprinkle of feta and dill. The perfect mezze-style meal!
Another Mediterranean-inspired dish on the blog! I guess I’m really craving a European vacation, haha! That does sound really nice…
As I’ve mentioned a few times before, I’ve been eating more types of animal protein ever since I got pregnant and had a baby. And lately, I’ve really been enjoying lamb, which is interesting, because before Luca, I hadn’t touched lamb since 2005. Amazing what pregnancy and childbirth can do to you!
Speaking of, Luca LOVES these meatballs. I’ve given him a similar version (from my new cookbook) and he eats almost two full meatballs! It’s incredible to see – and they’re obviously adult-approved, too. These are one of Lu’s favorites!
I’m always craving a bunch of flavors and textures when I’m hungry – I don’t want to commit to just one food or flavor, which is why I love Mediterranean food: the mezze! I love ordering mezze platters at our favorite Lebanese restaurant, for example.
This dish has it all – and you can totally serve it in a bowl (bowl meals are so trendy, aren’t they?), but I love it on a plate, because you can spread out the hummus, which is easier for eating. There’s a simple fresh salad with tomatoes, creamy hummus for stirring in with the cucumbers and meatballs, and just the slightest dusting of feta and dill for extra flavor, protein, and texture!
Spiralized cucumbers are much more exciting than a chopped cucumber salad and as I’ve said before, they make a meal heartier and more complete. It’s all about texture!
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Mediterranean Lamb Meatballs with Hummus and Spiralized Cucumbers
- For the meatballs:
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pound ground lamb
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- For the rest:
- 1 English seedless cucumber
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 6 cups spinach or arugula or other preferred green
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1.5 heaping cups hummus
- to garnish: crumbled feta and chopped dill
- Preheat the broiler. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, combined the onion, garlic, and parsley and pulse until finely chopped. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and add the lamb, oregano, cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes, and season with salt. Mix together until fully combined. Using your hands, form 12 medium meatballs and set them on the prepared baking sheet. Broil for 8 to 10 minutes, until browned on top but still slightly pink inside.
- Meanwhile, spiralize your cucumbers with Blade A and trim with kitchen shears. In a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and add in the spinach and tomatoes. Toss to combine. Set aside.
- Prepare your plates: spread the hummus out on the plates. On each plate, place the spinach salad, cucumber noodles, and garnish with feta and dill, if using. Serve.