One Pot Basque Chicken with Spiralized Potatoes
This recipe was originally published in 2014, when I wasn’t even spiralizing bell peppers! It was one of the first one pot meals I made, and I was so proud of it, because it is one of those dishes that tastes restaurant-worthy, but is easy to make and the cleanup is a breeze. It’s perfect for entertaining or just for an intimate dinner in – with some wine, if you partake!
Basque-style chicken is basically a pepper chicken stew, using bell peppers, chicken, broth, and a specific pepper of the Basque region of Spain. Since we don’t live in the Basque region and access to that Espelette pepper is a bit hard, you can use paprika here to bring the flavors together.
And since all I’m thinking about right now is traveling somewhere exotic (once it’s safe to do so again!), I revisited this oldie but a goodie recipe to update the photos and make this delicious meal for the family.
The chicken is braised, the potato and pepper noodles cook and soften in the juices of the chicken and the olives offer a tangy and bright saltiness to this one pan meal. The chicken browns first, giving it a little crisp on the outside that complements the softness of the bell peppers and the al dente crunch of the potato noodles.
If you don’t eat chicken, you could try this with a white flaky fish, too. Make this and you’ll be amazed by how flavorful and texturally delightful it is.
Basque Chicken with Red Potato Noodles
- 1.25 pound skinless boneless chicken thighs ?salt and pepper, to taste?1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil ?2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small yellow onion Blade A, noodles trimmed?1 small red bell pepper, Blade A, noodles trimmed?1 pound red potatoes, Blade D, noodles trimmed
- ¼ teaspoon paprika?1 14oz can diced tomatoes?1 cup chicken broth, low sodium?¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes?½ teaspoon fresh thyme
- salt and pepper?4oz pimiento-stuffed olives ?to garnish: freshly chopped parsley
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or deep skillet over medium-high. Add in the chicken and cook for about 7 minutes or until lightly browned, turning occasionally to evenly cook. When done, set aside on a plate.
- Add in the garlic, onion, bell pepper, potatoes and paprika, cooking 10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Then, add in the tomatoes, broth, red pepper flakes, thyme and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then nestle back in the chicken pieces, pouring in any juices leftover. Reduce heat to a simmer, let cook for another 10 minutes or until chicken is tender and potato noodles are cooked through.
- Stir in the olives and let cook for 1-2 minutes to warm the olives. Garnish with parsley and serve.