A hearty and flavorful vegetarian one pot meal, loaded with salty flavor from Pecorino cheese, and plenty of plant based protein. These grain bowls are from Gina Homolka’s new cookbook Skinnytaste Meal Prep.
Smashed Broccoli Pecorino Farro Bowls
I’m so excited to be sharing a recipe from my friend Gina’s new cookbook, Skinnytaste Meal Prep. The cookbook is exactly what it sounds like – a cookbook of recipes specifically written and designed for meal prep. All of the recipes can easily be saved (freezer or refrigerator) for future eating! Or, if you can’t wait (like me!), eat them right away – and then save the leftovers, if there are any.
While there are many meat, poultry, and seafood recipes in Gina’s new cookbook, there are plenty of vegetarian ones, too! I love the variety of recipes in her cookbook (and many can be modified to be vegetarian or vegan, easily!)
I feel like I can get stuck in a grain rut – I’m usually cooking a rice or quinoa. I often forget about farro and other of the hearty, heart-healthy grains out there. This recipe calls for pearled farro, which cooks more quickly than traditional farro, so this meal is also a 30 minute one pan wonder! However, I didn’t have pearled farro, so if you also can’t find it, you can use traditional farro and just let it cook for 15 minutes before adding the broccoli in! It worked perfectly, just took a little longer.
The salty Pecorino and garlic are enough to flavor this vegetarian dish. I love the smashed broccoli and will definitely be doing that in the future in other broccoli dishes. The only change I made here was adding a can of cannellini beans for more protein and to make it a bit more filling. Also, my daughter Roma loves beans, so sometimes she’ll try a meal just because she sees beans in it! The beans soak up the garlickly Pecorino flavor and it makes for a wonderful, meal prep friendly vegetarian meal!
And today, I’m giving away a copy of the cookbook over on Instagram, so join me over there! Most importantly, go ahead and order your copy of Gina’s new cookbook, Skinnytaste Meal Prep – it’s out today and available wherever cookbooks are sold!
Smashed Broccoli Pecorino Farro Bowls
- Kosher salt
- 1.5 cups pearled farro
- 1.25 pounds broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves crushed with the side of a knife and then roughly chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes plus more for serving, to taste (optional)
- 1 !5oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese plus more for serving (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil over high heat. Once boiling, add the farro and cook for about 6 minutes, then add the broccoli and cook for about 6 minutes more, until the broccoli and farro are tender and cooked through. Drain in a colander, reserving 1/4 cup liquid.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in the pot over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and pepper flakes and cook for about 1 minute, stirring until golden.
- Add the cooked broccoli and farro, season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes more, roughly smashing any large chunks of broccoli with a wooden spoon. Add a little of the reserved liquid if it’s too dry. Stir in the remaining olive oil, can of beans, and the Pecorino. Let cook for 1-2 minutes for the beans to warmup. Serve or save in the fridge for up to 4 days.
MEAL PREP: Divide among 4 meal prep containers. Reheat in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes or on the stove with a little water for 3 to 5 minutes.
SKINNY SCOOP Pearled farro takes less time to cook than semi-pearled, which takes less time to cook than whole farro. Reprinted from Skinnytaste Meal Prep. Copyright © 2020 by Gina Homolka. Photographs copyright © 2020 by Aubrie Pick. Published by Clarkson Potter, an imprint of Penguin Random House, LLC.