Use your spiralizer to spiralize your peppers and onions to make this quick and easy sausage and peppers ragu.
One of my favorite meals to make during the summertime is grilled chicken sausage with spiralized bell peppers and onions sauteed with a marinara sauce and some dried Italian herbs. I usually serve it over brown rice or quinoa with a side salad.
This is a stovetop version, making it into a simple weeknight meal that’s high in protein and fiber and low in carbs – and a fun way to use your spiralizer!
If you are looking for weeknight meal inspiration, this is it – it’s very meal-prep friendly too, because the bell peppers, onions, and sausage reheat well.
For something heartier, add some roasted potatoes (or spiralize them!), brown rice, or your favorite whole grain – couscous works well here, too. However you have it, you’ll be impressed with how easy it is to make!
And if you’re not subscribed to the Inspiralized newsletter, I’m doing a fun collaboration with Cali’flour Foods (the makers of an amazing thin crust cauliflower pizza!) and giving away copies of my cookbooks and an Inspiralizer! You can subscribe here to get notified once the giveaway goes live!
I hope everyone’s enjoying the final hours of their weekend (if you’re reading this live!) and if you’re meal planning for the week, add this to your list!
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Sausage and Spiralized Pepper Ragu
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil + more to drizzle
- 2 hot Italian sausage links
- 2 sweet Italian sausage links
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 onion Blade A, noodles trimmed
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken broth low sodium
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 1 lemon quartered into 4 wedges
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is shimmering, add the sausages to the skillet and cook until browned, 5-7 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a plate and immediately add in the bell pepper and onion noodles. Season with salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes or until browning. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomato paste and stir well to coat the vegetables. Add the sausages back to the skillet with 1 cup of the broth, red pepper flakes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 5 minutes. Let simmer until slightly thickened, about 7 minutes.
- Once sausage and peppers are done, garnish with parsley and divide into bowls and serve alongside the greens and garnish with greens with a drizzle of olive oil and squeeze of a lemon wedge. Serve.