Whenever I make a simple recipe that’s extremely flavorful and diverse in flavor and texture, I’m always wowed.
I don’t think I’ve quite learned that just some fresh herbs, olive oil and salt and pepper can make a huge impact. Every time, I’m like, “Why didn’t I do that?!”
Case in point: today’s recipe, from Amie Valpone’s new cookbook “Eating Clean.”
This recipe is one of those veggie noodle dishes that you’ll make and go, “Wow! Spiralizing is truly amazing.” The simple use of yellow summer squash with fresh herbs (mint and basil), a dash of cumin, olive oil, lemon juice and a couple other seasonings is powerful.
With veggie noodles that taste just like pasta, just fresher, lighter, and more beautiful, who needs pasta? 😉
I’m really loving this recipe from my friend Amie. If you don’t know her, check out her gluten-free blog The Healthy Apple, which not only offers healthy recipes, but also, a forum for those who have struggled with autoimmune issues and have turned to the ultimate medicine: food.
Her story is incredible, she absolutely healed her body (despite the discouragement from her doctor’s) through food. This book even has a foreword by Mark Hyman, the famed physician and scholar who sheds a lot of light on healthy eating.
I’m happy to support a fellow food blogger, friend, and woman today on the blog! I really recommend her book, especially if you have experienced bodily issues related to things like inflammation. She sheds a lot of light on it all and her recipes are easy and approachable!
If you’re just looking for a great pasta dish or a fun summery side dish for potlucks, this noodle dish is perfect! It’s colorful, tasty, and comes together quickly – it even saves well in the refrigerator! And, you can definitely substitute green squash in there, if that’s all you have.
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 4 points
*These points were calculated using the official Weight Watchers SmartPoints calculator. We are in no way affiliated with Weight Watchers, we are providing this information based on popular demand.
Spiralized Yellow Squash with Basil and Mint
- 3 large yellow summer squash cut into thin strands with a vegetable peeler or spiral slicer (spiralizer) or julienned
- 1 large celery stalk thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 ?2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 ?4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients, toss to coat, and serve.