If that title didn’t catch your attention, I don’t know what will.
When I first started blogging, I vowed to never title a post “best ever” or “the ultimate.”
But alas, here I am, giving you a recipe that truly is …. the best version of chicken zucchini noodle soup, ever!
Actually, I wasn’t going to share this recipe, because I recently made an Asian version of chicken noodle soup, using turnip noodles and red curry paste (grab that recipe here.)
However, I posted a picture on Instagram of a classic chicken noodle soup (using zucchini noodles, of course) that I had made one night for Lu, since he had a bad cold. Aren’t I the sweetest fiance, ever? *pats self on the back*
Anywho, the post got over 1,160 likes, which, for me, is a lot! After that, I had to share the recipe with everyone (it would be cruel not to!)
This recipe is super easy, doesn’t take too long and has that filling, comforting feeling that typically accompanies chicken noodle soup – but of course, back out the processed noodles, extra carbs and calories and swap in more nutrients from the zucchini.
If you’re bored of zucchini noodles, try turnip or parsnip or carrot. You can add extra seasonings, like salt and pepper, parsley or an extra pinch of red pepper flakes for extra spiciness.
I love this recipe, because it speaks loudly to the Inspiralized movement – replace processed pasta with whole, fresh vegetables to transform your favorite classic dishes into healthier versions of the original.
The recipe is definitely Lu-approved. Speaking of Lu, lately, we’ve been so busy during the work days that we barely have time to text each other. Usually, once a day, he’ll call me and our conversations go like this:
Lu: Hey Al, what’s up?
Me: Not much, cooking.
Lu: Ya? Everything good?
Me: Yup! Just busy.
Lu: Okay, love you. See you later.
Me: Love you too. Bye!
I’m so blessed to be with someone who understands what I’m doing and is going through the same daily grinds. Lu’s an entrepreneur himself and works all day, every day without a break (well, to eat, maybe.)
I guess you could say we’re a power couple. One day soon, I hope!
What do you think about this chicken zucchini noodle soup – it’s the best, right?
Nutritional Information & Recipe
The Best Chicken Zucchini Noodle Soup, Ever!
- ½ heaping cup diced red onion
- 2 celery ribs diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small pinch of red pepper flakes
- 3 teaspoons fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 teaspoons fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 chicken thighs bone-in, about 1.75 pounds
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken broth low-sodium
- 2 cups water
- 3 medium zucchinis
- Place a large soup pot over medium heat and add in the onions, celery, carrots, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables “sweat” and onions are translucent. Add in the thyme and oregano and cook for another 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Place in the chicken thighs and bay leaf and pour in the chicken broth, water and cover and let come to a boil. Once boiling, lower to a steady simmer and cook for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the chicken and peel off the skin and discard. Then, shred the chicken off the bone and set aside, with any juices. Place the bones back into the soup pot and simmer for 10 more minutes, uncovered.
- While the bones simmer, slice the zucchinis halfway lengthwise. Then, spiralize them, using Blade C. Set aside.
- Remove the bones and bay leaves and discard. Add the reserved shredded chicken back to the pot along with the zucchini noodles. Cook for 5 minutes or until zucchini is al dente or cooked to your preference. Serve warm.