It’s the first Monday of the New Year!!
Let’s all take a big breath of fresh air. Breath those new opportunities, new beginnings and new outlooks in.
On your exhale, breath out any negativity, hang-ups, grudges or regrets.
Alas, it’s 2015, it’s a New Year and it’s time to be the freshest, healthiest, happiest, inspired version of yourself.
The beginning of the New Year is so exciting – it’s like the world is our oyster!
If eating healthier is one of your goals for 2015, then you’re in luck today. I figured I’d start the New Year off right with the basics: zucchini noodles.
Zucchini noodles are helpful for weight loss, thanks to their low calorie and carb count, their high water content (key for detoxing!) and their high dietary fiber content. They’re also packed with folates, which help your metabolism function properly.
This pasta sauce? Well, it’s green – of course. Nothing screams healthier than a green pasta! It’s made of immune-boosting superfoods, such as ginger, coconut, kale and garlic. It’s thickened with raw cashews and seasoned simply with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
Honestly, I could drink this pasta sauce as a shake. Maybe I’d add a little banana or vanilla protein powder in there, but it’s seriously delicious.
The peas add more healthy green color and also, some plant-based protein. It’s pretty much a slam dunk in the health department!
If you want to spice this dish up, you can add some quinoa, some chicken, or some edamame for protein. Other veggies that would work well are broccoli and red bell peppers.
However you have this dish, build it into your meal plan for the coming weeks – you’ll glow from the inside out!
What spiralized (or Inspiralized) recipes are you going to use to help keep healthy this year?
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Vegan Creamy Ginger-Coconut Kale Zucchini Spaghetti
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger peeled and minced
- 1 15 ounce can lite coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- red pepper flakes to taste
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- 6 medium zucchinis Blade C, noodles trimmed
- 3/4 cup defrosted green peas
- In a large pot over medium heat, add in the olive oil. Once heated, add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add in the coconut milk, lemon juice, red pepper flakes and season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine and then add in the kale. Cover and cook until the greens have wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the kale mixture to a high-speed blender and add in the basil and cashews. Blend until smooth and creamy and set aside.
- Wipe down the pot and place back over medium heat. Add in the zucchini noodles and peas and toss for 3-4 minutes or until cooked to al dente or your preference. Once cooked, divide into bowls and top with green sauce. Serve immediately.