Is it just me or did Memorial Day creep up?
I swear it was just my birthday. It feels like yesterday that temperatures started to change from the 30s and 40s to 60s, 70s and 80s.
I don’t know how it happened, but this weekend is Memorial Day, which means the summer unofficially starts, the BBQs begin and pasta salads are in abundance.
Just in the nick of time, I have a pasta salad recipe for you (minus the pasta, of course.)
This easy three bean “macaroni” salad is the perfect addition to your Memorial Day weekend menu – and, it will impress your guests with the spiralized factor.
This pasta salad is called a “macaroni” salad, because it uses thick half-moon shaped “noodles” which mostly resemble macaroni. Plus, the shape of the noodles make it more servable to large groups of people.
To get that macaroni shape, you need to slice the zucchini lengthwise, only permeating through half of the vegetable (this is important, because if you spiralize more than halfway through, it won’t spiralize properly.)
This is what it should look like:
On Thursday, I’m going to do a roundup of Memorial Day recipes, for those of you who are happily hosting friend and family for this summer kickoff holiday! Stay tuned!
What are your favorite BBQ side dishes?
Nutritional Information & Recipe
Weight Watchers SmartPoints*: 5 points
- For the salad:
- 1 large zucchini or 2 medium zucchinis
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 orange bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- ½ cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- For the dressing:
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- pepper, to taste
- Slice the zucchinis lengthwise halfway through. Then, spiralize them with Blade C. Toss the zucchini and the rest of the ingredients for the salad into a large mixing bowl.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the dressing in a bowl and whisk together. Pour over the zucchini salad and toss thoroughly to combine. Serve immediately or refrigerate for future use.