If you’re looking for quick and easy ways to squeeze more vegetables into your kids’ foods, you’ll love this Zucchini Oatmeal, which is super packed with protein and all the essential nutrients for our little ones – and it’s fit for adults, too! Who doesn’t love oatmeal?
Luca’s Zucchini Oatmeal Bowls
Luca wasn’t always into oatmeal, but once he got into it, he’s been an oatmeal fanatic ever since. When he was going through a little vegetable strike, I started adding vegetables to all of his favorite foods (I literally stirred mashed carrot into his almond butter – I’m that mom!) When I tried it in his oatmeal and gobbled up the entire adult portion oatmeal bowl, I knew I had a winner – and now I’m sharing it with you all!
The key to this oatmeal bowl is to get the consistency right. Toddlers especially have issues with different consistencies, so I try to keep it the same every time. I’ve noted this in the recipe instructions, but if your oatmeal comes out too wet, be patient, it may thicken up a bit and if it doesn’t, once you add in almond butter, it’ll thicken up quickly. So, just remember you are still adding in almond butter. Thus, if you have the opposite problem and the oatmeal is too sticky and chunky, add some splashes of milk (whatever milk you serve your little one) until you get your desired consistency (keeping in mind, you will be adding almond butter, so it needs to be a little moist.)
If you want to serve this a bit deconstructed, serve the berries on the side, instead of mixed together. This is also for babies who might not have taken to oatmeal yet and need some familiar foods (fruits, in this case) to get them going!
You’ll be so surprised at how quickly this comes together and how simple it is! You’ll be kicking yourself thinking, “why haven’t I tried this already?” And for those mamas with super picky little ones, this may put your heart at ease knowing that at least they’re eating some zucchini first thing in the morning!
Luca’s Zucchini Oatmeal Bowls
- 1 packet Nature's Path Organic Original Oatmeal
- 1/4 shredded zucchini don't pack the cup, just about 1/4 cup
- 1.5 tablespoons nut butter we use almond butter
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- berries we use whatever we have on hand, but Luca loves either strawberries or blueberries in his oatmeal
- 1/2 banana small diced
- Cook the oatmeal packet in the microwave, according to the instructions on the box. We mix together the oatmeal with 1 cup of water, microwaving for 90 seconds.
- While the oatmeal cooks, place the shredded zucchini in a paper towel or cheesecloth over a small bowl and squeeze out all of the moisture. Set aside.
- Once the oatmeal is done, if it's too thick, I add splashes of almond milk until it's smoother. If it's a big watery, keep stirring and let sit for another 30 seconds or don't worry, because you're adding nut butter and that will thicken it.
- Add the zucchini, almond butter and hemp seeds first. Stir very well to combine. Then, add the berries and banana and stir well again. Transfer to whatever bowl you're using for your little one and let cool a bit before serving.